Thursday, March 20, 2014

Why We Need Religion



America has always been a religious country. The heart of religious practice is prayer. Americans pray even more than they go to church. According to a composite of surveys, 94 percent of blacks, 91 percent of women, 87 percent of whites, and 85 percent of men regard themselves as people who pray regularly. Some 78 percent pray at least once per week, and 57 percent pray daily. Even among the 13 percent of the population who call themselves agnostics or atheists, some 20 percent pray daily.

Churchgoers are more likely to be married, and the family members are close as well. The regular practice of religion helps poor persons move out of poverty. Religious practice help those fight against social problems including suicide, drug abuse, out-of-wedlock births, crime, and divorce. It also encourages beneficial effects on mental health, more self esteem, and greater family and martial happiness.It also help repair damage caused by alcoholism, drug addiction, and mental break down.

For many people, religion is very important. The reason why they feel this way is because the belief that society needs religion; and we benefit from our collective religious beliefs. We need religion to regulate behavior. The basic laws that society follows today have their basis in religious teachings such as killing, stealing, cheating, lying, and cursing. Without religion, our society would be different rather it is for the better or for the worse. Religion also teaches self sufficiency. It teaches us that we are responsible for taking care of ourselves. It also teaches us the idea of cooperation. Humans are selfish and do not like to cooperate with people and learn to work with each other. The main reason why we need religion is because it gives us something to believe in. Some people need to believe that there is a reason for everything that happens because it is what GOD has planned.

I have a lot of experience when it comes down to religion because my father is a preacher and my mother is a very religious woman. When I was a little girl, I thought the reason why I needed to have a religion was because my parents was very religious. I never understood why I had to go to church 7 times a week and pray 3 times a day. Now that I am older, I realized the reason why I went to church and prayed as many times as I did and why I need a religion. I believe the reason I need a religion is because I believe and God and the trio, and having a religion helps me understand the will of God.
 

 
http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/1996/01/bg1064nbsp-why-religion-matters
http://www.credong.org/why-society-needs-religion.php

No comments:

Post a Comment