Friday, March 21, 2014

Social Groups and Their Leaders

Social Groups and Their Leaders


       Social groups are an important part of society. We interact with our social groups in many different ways depending on what kind of group it is and the amount of involvement we have in it. The types of leadership are important to the future of the people involved in that group and the effectiveness of the group as a whole.

       According to the book, there are two different types of social groups; primary social groups and secondary social groups. The primary groups are the most important group one can ever be associated with. These groups are small and enduring. These groups only include the people closest to you such as your parents and close family members. The bonds that are created are irreplaceable and creates bonds that can never be extinguished. Secondary social groups are a bigger and less personal. These are usually short term relationships that form out of a goal or activity organizations. This causes there to be weaker emotional ties and although stronger bonds can be made between individuals, the group as a whole is temporary and constantly changing with members leaving and joining. This is important to understand and be aware of because everyone has there own social groups and they affect each person in different ways. This is important to my life because I am apart of many social groups. My primary social groups are very important to me. First, there are my parents who have always been there for me since the day I was born. Then there is my boyfriend who has been there for me for the past five years. They are a prime example of how important primary relationships are. Secondary social groups are also a part of my life. These would be my co-workers, I spend multiple hours a week with them and get along very well with them. Although that is true, as soon as I change jobs, they will no longer be apart my social groups.

       Within these groups there is always a leader. These leadership roles are very important to the social groups and therefore come in different styles. The first style is Authoritarian. This is when the leader makes all the decisions and the members do what they are told. An example of this would be my work. My manager tells me what needs to be done and whether I think it is a good idea or not, I do it. Another leadership style would be Democratic. This is where all the members are involved in what the group does. This would be my relationship with my boyfriend. We work together to make decisions on what we want to do regarding small and important issues. Lastly, there is laissez-faire, this is where the members are allowed to do basically whatever they want. This would be my relationship with my parents. They didn't set many rules and therefore I made most of my decisions on my own. The types of group leadership is very important because the type of leadership can affect a persons or multiple peoples lives who are involved in the group.


       As you can see, social groups are a very important and prevalent part of society. The different types of groups and leadership styles shape our lives and make us who we are.






No comments:

Post a Comment