Thursday, March 20, 2014

Education beyond the Studies

                                                                                                         
                I’ve always wondered what life would be like without education and schooling. I’ve been in school for thirteen, now going on fourteen years of my life and now it has become a part of my life that I will not be free from until another 5-6 years. Schooling in a structural-functional way has helped me with socialization, cultural innovation, and social integration.
                As a kid we are constantly doing things that are not necessarily acceptable when you reach a certain age in your life. This is why we have family to help us first with how to act around certain people. But it is not until you get into school till you start to learn how to socialize in a setting of random strangers. Some of us reacted differently on our first day of school, but as time went on we learned how to talk to others, be kind, respectful, and to understand how to react around others. Over the past decade of school, simple socializing skills became increasingly better as the school days went on.
                Secondly, school brought in cultural innovation. There are certain norms and values that everyone who is a U.S. citizen should know. These are the types of things that our teachers, principals, and advisers helped us with. They laid down rules that put the class in place and under control. Most of these rules were based off what our culture views as acceptable and is expected to be shown throughout your life. Some of these cultural norms were learned on your own. For example, holding the door open for somebody behind you, or saying please and thank you, or respecting people of higher authority. These are the types of cultural norms and values that are reinforced and expected to be shown not only in the school setting but also within society in general.


                Lastly, the school helps with social integration. For me, this has to be one of the biggest things that I noticed as I went to school. Growing up around the Chicago land area, you start to find a wide range of different ethnicities, cultures, and backgrounds. Starting from a young age I was surrounding myself with a small diverse group. As I began to really understand who I was a person and what I liked, I started to find friends who I felt had the same interests as me. This led me to what I can say is a quite diverse group of friends. We all grew up in the same town and really didn't become friends till a couple years ago, but now we are extremely close even though we of different ethnicities. My group consists of African, Thai, Filipino, Polish, and Mexicans. We all were raised differently whether it be by the food that we eat, or the way we interact with our family, as well as family traditions/holidays. After being friends with them for an extensive period of time, I started to pick up on the differences of cultural norms and values. Now these things wouldn't be as likely if I weren't in school socializing with a wide range of different people. 

By: Francarlo Resto

http://www.greatschools.org/find-a-school/defining-your-ideal/284-cultural-diversity-at-school.gs
http://education.jhu.edu/PD/newhorizons/strategies/topics/multicultural-education/themergeofglobalawarenessandclassroomcul/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment