Friday, March 21, 2014

Somethings Will Always Make You Question What You Know

"Culture impacts how we think"

As we discussed in class, culture, just like societies, determines everything for a group of people. Culture is society's way of life and when I joined a sport organization in the fall of 2013, I realized how power culture is to sports.

Throughout my life I thought I have seen it all, but I was wrong. Upon coming to NIU in the fall of 2013 I wanted to something different. I got that what I joined the NIU Women's Rugby team. Everything that I thought I knew about team sports from playing them all the the way from being an athletic trainer was questioned in a way.

When playing sports the norm is to win and it doesn't matter how one wins but they want that win on their record. Rugby however isn't like that. According to http://www.uwfolk.org/spring-13/rugby-and-gender/rugby-socials/  there are traditions and a different social atmosphere when it comes to rugby.

I remember my first game. I had only been playing for a week or two and I got put as a started in a game against people who have five or six years worth of experience with playing with one another. I just remember the fear of being tackled for the first time. My coach told me that I needed to get over the fear of getting tackled and just let the biggest/strongest girl hit me hard. I didn't think that I would get tackled by an amazon but I did. The impact was so powerful that everyone including the Sir heard it. However, instead of just leaving me there to take the pain, she checked on me and asked if I was good. I nodded yes and she helped me up.

After that I started to think about how Rugby is different from any other sport. On NIU YouTube channel you can see this video about the culture and the tradition of the Men's Rugby team, which isn't that different from the Women's Rugby team, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEn285uYFo8.  

The culture is different, what they pride themselves in for the name of the game is different. Rugby is a sport that is like a family and a respect for the culture and tradition for the game.




No comments:

Post a Comment