Saturday, May 3, 2014

You Are A Boy...You Can't Do That

You Are A Boy...You Don't Cry



Gender shapes every aspect of our society.  When you are a child you learn quickly how boys and girls are supposed to act.  Society labels men as competitive and ambitious; telling them to go out and play sports.  You are taught to be tough and not to show your emotions.  You are taught to be aggressive and fight back if someone is hitting on you.  You are told not to play with dolls, because they are for girls and that is not what boys are supposed to do.  Girls are taught that it is ok to cry and show their emotions.  They are exposed to motherhood at a young age.   They take care of baby dolls and play house.  They are bought kitchen sets to get them exposed and be familiar with the aspect of cooking.  I know from experience, when I was young I was not allowed to brush dolls hair.  If I was seen doing so, I would get yelled at and told to go outside and play.  I was raised in a single parent home by mom, so I was told that I was the man of the house at a young age.  I did not really know what that meant when I was young, but now I am glad I was told that.  It has made me the man I am today; I know how to cook, clean, do my own laundry and take care of myself.  All the things that a lot of men do not know how to do, because they were never taught how to do so.  I am glad my mom taught me at a young at to fend for myself, I see a lot of people at this school who can’t even do laundry.  I was blessed that my mom did not believe in gender roles and taught me that men are suppose to cook, clean, and do laundry.  





No comments:

Post a Comment