Friday, May 2, 2014

The Life you live


The Life You Live

For my final blog I will be talking about sexual orientation which we discussed in Sexuality and Society. This topic has always interested me because I have several homosexual friends. There are also many opinions and arguments about one’s sexual orientations that bother me.  I personally am all for freedom of choice. However, regardless of the opinions of one person, individuals are going to live their lives the way they want, with who they want. In this blog I will share some of the experiences I have had regarding people’s sexual orientation.
            Growing up, my cousin, who was several years older than me, struggled with her sexuality. Being that I am younger than her, at the time I did not really understand what she meant because I was too busy being kid. I did not comprehend what there was to be confused about. However, as I got older it became clearer what she was struggling with. It was not until her senior year of high school that she came out of the closet. When she finally came out to her family her mother was far from accepting of the news. On the other hand her father was more accepting and did not judge her the way my aunt did. Finally, after years of fighting, my aunt came to her senses and began making an effort to understand this is who my cousin was. She finally embraced her.
            My most recent exposure to various sexual preferences was I was a freshman at NIU. Being around 23,000 people daily exposed me to a wide variety of people. During my freshman year I joined a dance team that consisted of male and female dancers. As time went on I learned so much about them on an individual basis, including who they preferred to date. Every male dancer on the team was gay and we had 2 lesbians. It deeply saddens me that at some point in time these individuals could face ridicule solely based on who they choose to love.  The only thing differentiating myself from these friends of mine is their preference in who to date. Biologically we have the same makeup.
  I have also met a person who was biologically born a male but identified themselves as female, in other words they were transgender.  How a person identifies themselves is completely up to that person. Who are we to judge? Who are we to tell that person how they should feel and identify themselves? We are not in a place to tell someone how they should feel.

            While I may be okay with any identity, whether it be homosexual, heterosexual, or transgender, there are many people who will never be okay with it.  All over the world you hear of people who are against gay married and hold protest to make sure a law does not pass in their favor. Taking it above and beyond that, hate crimes are constantly making the news headlines. Regardless of the argument against gay marriage whether it is biblical reasons, personal beliefs, etc. I do not feel we are in a place to tell someone how to feel. It does not do anyone any good. It is better to just got on living life the way we choose.







http://www.huffingtonpost.com/murray-lipp/gay-marriage-is-great-for_b_3370173.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-marriage


No comments:

Post a Comment