Wednesday, April 30, 2014

What I experience during social change…

The question that would be asked is if social change is moving in the right direction.  In other words the world is changing culturally and socially over time.  I say yes, because we see it every day it happens all the time.  There are very few things that can be changed over time.  It may take years or even centuries to have the change come into effect.  For a brief example, how many students do you see with headphones on walking around our campus here at NIU?  That shows you that IPods were show as newest and greatest thing to have.  I mean they tried with the Zune, but that failed horribly for unknown reasons.  Was it marketing?  Was it because the IPod was already making others enjoy the product?  I believe that IPod dominated that market only because they had advancements on it before any other company had a chance to react towards it.  That’s just an example of a social change.  Technology that I see around my house is that my brother sits at his computer playing video games all day instead of going to sleepovers or playing outdoors.  He is in a scout troop and goes on campouts with them all the time, but when I try to speak with him all he wants to do is look back at his game and not want to do a thing.  These days if you ground kids from their Xbox or Playstation version 300, then they will hate the fact that they have to actually go outside and play with their friends.  When I was growing up the worst thing in the world was getting grounded from being outside.  Am I a different person? Yes, but I would think that all kids should have a need to go out and ride bikes and get into trouble just like the older generation did.  It is easier for me to email my brother then talk to him on the phone.  There’s another social change that I’m still confused on.  Is it just me or do people just not know how to ring a door bell besides the mail man and the UPS guy that brings me car parts?  Whenever I invite a friend over, due to this increase in technology of text messaging, I will receive a “here” or a “I’m in your driveway.” What the hell happened to the old fashioned knock at the door, or even in fact it’s my house and the garage is open step inside for the love of humanity.  The automobile is another social change that kind of irritates me, because if you have a buddy that lives one street over, not only have I seen this happen at numerous occasions, but you will see people drive one street over to stop by a friend’s house.  Really?!?! Just walk you happy ass down the street and show up with a case of beer and have a good time.  Everybody in this world can see that social change has effected everybody in some way, shape or, form.  There are good social changes happening in this world don’t get me wrong, but just a simple knock at the door please people.

Websites:

http://www.sociologyguide.com/science/social_change_and_technology.php

http://bostongal14.wordpress.com/2014/04/30/technology-in-society/

No comments:

Post a Comment